Pediatric Cardiac Electrophysiology
The pediatric electrophysiology (EP) team at Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital Heart Institute specializes in diagnosing and treating cardiac rhythm disturbances and heart arrhythmias. In our advanced EP lab, we can treat certain arrhythmias and lower risk factors and alleviate symptoms for others.
What Is Pediatric Cardiac Electrophysiology (EP)?
Pediatric electrophysiology is the branch of cardiology that deals with heart rhythm conditions in children. Electrophysiologists (EPs) work to treat your child’s heart’s electrical system. EPs have specialized training beyond just cardiology.
Our EP lab has specialized equipment that helps EPs diagnose and treat arrhythmias (abnormal heart rhythms). Our electrophysiology services include:
- Medical management: Medicine can control some types of arrhythmias.
- Ablation: This minimally invasive procedure uses heat or cold to safely destroy the tissue that’s causing the arrhythmia.
- Implanting devices: We sometimes use pacemakers or an implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) to control potentially dangerous arrhythmias.
Why Choose Us for Pediatric Electrophysiology?
Datasource: 3D heart mapping for arrhythmia
We know that parents have choices about heart care for their children. Our comprehensive pediatric electrophysiology services include:
- Sophisticated ablation techniques: Ablation can treat many kinds of arrhythmias by using heat or cold to remove affected tissues. With this minimally invasive procedure, children usually spend one night in the hospital and are home the next day.
- Advanced technology: Not only do we have years of experience caring for children with heart rhythm disturbances, we also have some of the latest electrophysiology technology. For example, we are able to get a better view of the heart than ever before with 3D heart imaging to minimize X-ray use.
- Complete heart care: Our EP team works with other pediatric cardiac specialists to treat a wide range of heart conditions. From congenital heart disease to heart transplants, we truly offer a full range of pediatric heart care.
- Ability to treat adults: Our EPs are trained to treat both pediatric and adult patients. Because many arrhythmias have a genetic component, it’s important that we can treat entire families. As children with heart conditions grow, they also benefit from our dedicated adult congenital heart disease program.
To schedule an appointment or learn about our electrophysiology services, call 954-265-3437.