We are just under one year away from opening the new expansion at Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital!
Our new four-story expansion will provide 72 state-of-the art private rooms, all capable of supporting the highest level of pediatric care. This expansion will allow the children's hospital to house nearly all pediatric services in the freestanding building, while the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Emergency Department, and Behavioral Health will remain at Memorial Regional Hospital.
There are many other exciting new features in the project as well on the following floors.
- Second floor: Two new surgical suites including an interoperative MRI to provide real-time imaging with a 3T MRI.
- Fifth floor: A new gym will support therapy services including a terrace to allow patients, families and staff to access the outdoors.
- Sixth floor: Four procedure rooms with superior equipment to support Interventional Radiology, Interventional Cardiology, Electrophysiology and Cardiac Surgery.
- Eight floor: A Simulation Lab to support teaching for clinical, ancillary and support staff, medical staff as well as residents and students.
There will also be many amenities throughout the building as well.
- Each floor will have a playroom and family lounge as we continue to embrace the hospital's theme of 'The Healing Power of Play.'
- The eighth floor will include the 'Teammates for Kids Zone' which will have:
- Play areas
- Interactive features
- Sensory room
- Dining area
- Performance space
- Movie theatre
- Expanded classroom
- Families will also have a separate lounge, spa room and a fitness room
The surgical expansion on the second floor, including the intraoperative MRI, will open for patient care in April 2022 while the four-story expansion is scheduled to open for patient care in October 2022.
We are planning an exciting event to celebrate many milestones in 2022 and are excited to continue growing with our community.